Thursday, September 3, 2009

Assignment: Birth announcement cards

A

Once my daughter was born, photos for an announcement were immediately planned. I actually brought a black sheet to the hospital to use as a backdrop, as well as the white sheets they had there. In the end, I ended up doing all those photos over at home. The problem wasn't the lack of lighting control or anything like that, but just that the baby looked better a few days older.

All the photos were taken with more of less the same setup. Two lights, one on each side of the camera, with a window camera left adding a little more light. While I tried bouncing one light off the ceiling, 2 umbrellas worked best to eliminate the harsh shadows.


As for photoshopping, basically just levels controls making the blacks blacker and the whites whiter. The large photos were placed on the plain color at about 40% opacity. I never got around to taking a middle picture on the black background, so I just used the white one twice. I was perfectly happy with the white card, but I also wanted one on black that would match the one we made for our son.

No comments:

Post a Comment