Monday, November 2, 2009

photographing a jack o' lantern


Last Year's Jack o' Lantern was a complicated pumpkin based on a stencil from the internet. The key to taking that photograph was an extremely long exposure with a still camera on a table, and a small aperture.

This year I really didn't have the time to carve a nice pumpkin, and wanted to try to light the pumpkin differently. Attempts to keep the camera still by leaving it on a stack of books were ineffective as it seemed no matter which books I chose one of the toddlers wanted. To get adequate lighting I placed a flash inside the cavity of the pumpkin. This created a number of problems which could be solved with more time or better technology.


First, it was near impossible to balance the power to the flash with the ambient light. The pentax flash is not remote triggerable in manual mode, so I had to leave it in TTL mode. However, the TTL readings it was getting from the camera weren't really relevant because it was inside the cavity of the pumpkin. I am sure for this reason the flash discharged at full power overexposing the inside of the pumpkin.

Next time I will use the radio triggers to allow me to manually set my flash controls.

1 comment: