
One of the biggest limitations of cameras is that they may have a dynamic range of 4-5 stops, while the human eye might see 13 stops. Some people can use this artistically to their benefit. For those other occasions, they have now made High Dynamic Range photography simple and accessible to everyone.
HDR photography basically takes a series of bracketed photos (photos of the same object with different exposures) and selects the properly exposed parts from each photo. While it isn't entirely realistic, it becomes an art in itself. From the limited work I have seen, many people couple their HDR work with sharpening or increasing the contrast at the smallest levels to increase the detain in the photo. A more realistic version would simply be to blend the exposures so everything is exposed properly, and that is also an option. These photos were composited using the exposure blending. In a future sample, I will also do the sharpening.
These are the 5 bracketed photos that were used to make this composite.
Because there are people milling around, I had to crop them out in order to make this work. HDR photography is somewhat limited in that while shooting, people will move. I have yet to figure out how people have done HDR photography with people, short of blending them back in from a single exposure through photoshop.
No comments:
Post a Comment