Monday, March 29, 2010

Getting your whites white


When you use the spot meter on your camera, it will set the exposure for whatever is metered at 18%, which is a standard used for a midpoint of an exposure. Whatever is metered becomes the medium tone. Looking at the above photo of a white sheet scattered on the couch, there is nothing right or wrong about the exposure based on the context of the photo

However, for people that often have to photographs brides in wedding dresses or any other kind of white, a good guideline is to expose 1.3 stops above the 18% point for white. This makes the whites look white without blowing out the highlights.

The photo below is taken seconds later with an adjustment 1.5 stops higher (my camera is set in half stops instead of 1/3 stops because when I have it set it 1/3 stops, I can only make a 2 stop total adjustment, but when it is set in 1/2 stops I can make a 3 total stop adjustment. Still have not decided which is more useful to me). Anyway, in the photo here the white looks brighter, but there are some details blown out (so maybe I need to go to 1/3 stop instead of 1/2)

No comments:

Post a Comment