
I recently purchased a roll of seamless paper to make high key backgrounds, thanks to a post from
http://www.hcfx.com/2010/02/60-white-seamless-paper/, where he links to a sale on Amazon of a 225 foot roll of 60" paper was only $17.99 including shipping. It probably costs more than that to ship since it is about 35 pounds. This roll of paper is now $211 on Amazon, though I think there is a 100 foot roll for about the same price.
So this renewed my interest in taking the high key photo. The problem is that I don't really have a space or a means to hang a 35lb roll of paper (a shorter roll would have weighed much less and been easier to deal with- but it wouldn't have been such a great deal).
So I took the above photo using the window as a background. Starting first by finding an exposure that would blow out the background, I then placed Superman on the table and lit him with my Chinatown Special Beauty dish. A little trial and error yielded the picture below. There was no post processing done on the above photo, but it was simply cropped. Ideally I would have moved the table closer to the window, but if I were going to do that much work I would just hang the white paper or even the white sheet that was the subject of the previous post.
As a side note, I noticed that the camera had a very difficult time getting the proper focus on the silhouetted Superman model. This may have been because he was much less lit than the rest of the photo. Just something to keep in mind when using a backlit subject.
No comments:
Post a Comment