Taking photos under harsh light can yield disappointing results. Doing it on a cloudless day at noon can almost make your flash unnoticeable.
This photo was taken at 1:15pm on a cloudless day. If I had metered for the ambient exposure, the subject would have been just a silhouette. If I had metered for the subject, the background would have been completely washed out white. While not a great option, it probably would have been better than the above photo.
The above photo was taken setting the exposure for the background to yield a blue sky. This would have left the subject in silhouette, so I planned to light the subject with my camera mounted strobe. However, using my camera mounted strobe at full power, I was still unable to completely light him and left the subject terribly underexposed because I lacked sufficient power to compete against the mid-day sun.
Here is the same photo adjusted up 2 stops in post production. Notice how the sky has become completely blown out. While I could composite the two to try to salvage the photo, better lighting would have made my life much easier.
No comments:
Post a Comment