Thursday, April 16, 2009

new technique

Today after some reading I discovered that my Pentax AF360-FGZ has a built in optical slave. This would allow me to use my Vivitar 285hv on the camera, and trigger the Pentax flash optically. Though I can't use TTL this way, it is at least a way that I can use both flashes at once. I haven't gotten to use both at once since I purchased the Vivitar when I heard rumors that it was being discontinued. I don't know if that is still the case, as there seem to be many still available.

Using a toy fire truck as a stand in, I tested a few shots. This has the Pentax flash at 1/8th power behind with the Vivitar at 1/16th power on the camera. Both are shooting more or less directly at the object




The following uses the pentax optically triggered camera left at 90 degrees with a sto-fen. The flash is aimed at the ceiling, but enough is split off that you can see the shadow to the right of the subject. The on camera vivitar is pointed at the ceiling at 1/16th providing fill light.



With better composition, this photo is extremely sharp, and the lighting looks natural because it comes from multiple directions.



The raccoon eyes are less evident with the two flashes, allowing them to basically fill each other in. If the conditions were more controlled instead of me trying to light the entire room while the model walks around at his leisure, the lighting could be designed quite effectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment