Monday, February 1, 2010

High Key test




With my new flash, the quantaray wa900, I tested its optical trigger in my attempt to do a high key photo. In this example, I did not bother to hang a white backdrop and instead just blasted light on the back wall in the attempt to overexpose it to white. The wall was effectively whitened, though the metal hardware was not effectively whitened and had to be either cropped out of removed in post production.

In these high key photos, because they are so brightly lit, every detail is captured. What I originally thought was digital noise is actually dust on the superman statue that I probably would have never seen under regular lighting.

There is significant wrap of the light underneath the statues arms and the side of his face. This is partly a result of the white walls in the hallway. While I like the wrap here, there may be occasions where I do not want that level of light wrapping around, and would need to find a location without white walls so close by.

Ideally, the subject would be further from the wall to avoid excessive light wrap. Zach Arias recommends that the backlight is 1.5 stops greater than the frontal light. There was not attempt to measure here, though it appears slightly overexposed before the post production. This is likely due to both the light wrap and too much power from the rear flashes. However, it is much easier to darken overexposed areas that are not blown out than it is to lighten underexposed areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment