Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Getting under your max synch speed



When I first saw this picture, I liked the sun, but assumed that the flash did not turn on. After looking closer, it is clear that the flash did turn on, but my settings were all wrong. Using the camera's AV mode, this picture was taken at 1/4000th of a second at f8.0 and iso 200. This was after I had set the EV to -1.7 to get the sunset exposure that I wanted.

However, this put the camera in HSS mode at 1/4000th of a second, which is not very powerful. When the flash was deployed, it simply did not have enough power to adequately light this scene. I needed to get the settings down to 1/180th of a second. Iso 200 to 100 would have put me at 1/2000th of a second, and going from f8 to f14 would have put that at 1/250th of a second. That may have been close enough, or f18 would have brought me down to 1/125th, which would have been more than enough.

The resulting flash would have needed to be probably at full power at the point, which I wouldn't be comfortable flashing a toddler with, but it would have been a nice photo if the subject were exposed properly.

Also, a photo of this nature would probably be better if it were on flat ground, or even the top of a hill where the horizon would have been much lower. Coming from the city, I don't get too many opportunities at a real sunset, but next time I am out, I will have to remember this.

No comments:

Post a Comment