Thursday, June 11, 2009

sample headshots 1

The new Strobist assignment calls for a headshot and a self portrait. The guidelines are to help people find work, and so this could be of use to me as well. Here are a few samples so I can narrow down which one I will take live and submit in to the pool.

These First 5 are taken with a shoot through umbrella almost on top of the subject. That gives the light an almost overhead look, while still being from the side by necessity since I don't have a boom arm.

These two are taken in the hallway to the apartment. The darkened area is from the light fall off from the flash. Ideally a plain white wall further back would be used, but I think I can get the back completely black with more light control- probably my softbox which I will experiment with next time.



These next two are taken from the hallway outside the apartment. Again I have darkened the hallway for the background. I suspect I can get more of a David Tejada look if I bounce off the wall and keep the background more exposed. The background is almost completely lost in Bokeh.



This is the background more exposed. I assume I did this through dragging the flash. I could gel the flash to make the white balance more uniform too.


These last two are pretty standard with the shoot through umbrella at a 45 degree angle just above eye height, as opposed to as straight down as possible.



It does appear possible that I can do a high key photo in the hallway if I use more power on the flash in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment