Sunday, August 30, 2009

gym photos

Here is a series of photos taken from inside the building gym. There were a number of lighting issues here. The light from the windows, even though it was behind me, served to backlight the photo in the mirror. I didn't bring the external flash, so I was stuck using only the on camera flash. The room was dark, but by dragging the flash, I was able to brighten up the room without really changing the exposure on my subject adversely.

This first photo does not use the flash, and you can see how the window behind us tricks the light meter leaving this photo underexposed.


The next photo uses a flash, but it isn't powerful enough to light the rest of the room or the background.


This third photo uses the trailing curtain flash, which is a version of slow speed synch with the flash going off at the end of the exposure. The longer exposure gets the background, and the flash at the end lights up the subject. You'll notice the motion of the shoes is frozen at the point where the flash goes off.


This last photo is what was achieved when I managed to get out of the frame and the subject stood still.

No comments:

Post a Comment