Saturday, May 2, 2009

PT-04 CN (PT-04 III GY) radio trigger test

I received my PT-04 CN radio trigger's today from Ebay seller UColor. These are the new CN model also called GY or PT-04 III's, depending on where you read. These arrived from Hong Kong in 14 total days, which isn't bad, and should have gotten here a day earlier but was misplaced by the local post office so it took 2 days for it to go out once it was received. The circular polarizer I ordered made it from Hong Kong in 7 total days.

I conducted the following test using 2 flashes (Pentax AF360-FGZ and a Vivitar 285HV), both at 1/16th power. The photos were made in a narrow hallway with a clear line of sight, trying to discover the absolute maximum range. It is quite likely since the floors and ceilings are concrete underneath their surface coverings, the signal was bounced and the range likely extended. A truer test would be in an open space outdoors. The measurements were made from looking at floorplans, not actually measuring, so I am sure that there is some error there.





Anyway, from 60 feet in, there were no real issues, other than one of the flashes going off repeatedly when I first turned it on. It seemed to reach it's limits right around 80 feet, and by 82 feet, it almost never triggered. I would imagine radio signal strength fades according to the inverse square rule as well.

The flash fired at a sync speed of 180, which is the maximum for a Pentax without going in to high speed sync mode which is not supported by any radio trigger as of this moment (4/28/09).

No comments:

Post a Comment